Where does the bug appear (feature/product)?
Cursor IDE
Describe the Bug
Agent works normally in local folders but fails in every Remote-SSH window connected to the University of Maryland Zaratan HPC cluster.
Every Agent request fails with:
Timed out waiting for the agent host bridge to register; please retry.
Environment:
- Cursor: 3.24.9 Universal
- Commit: cd6d2a1f2e56e9841f0ed9c7c24542087b4e69b0
- Local OS: macOS arm64 24.6.0
- Remote OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.10
- Remote connection: Anysphere Remote SSH 1.1.16
What works:
- Agent in a local Mac folder
- SSH authentication
- Remote file editing
- Zaratan terminal
- Normal Remote-SSH connection
What I checked:
- Storage quota is not exceeded.
- /tmp has sufficient space.
- Inode usage is normal.
- I am using only 27 of my 256 allowed processes.
- I stopped and restarted my Cursor remote processes.
- I removed a stale Cursor installation lock.
- Local and remote Cursor commits match.
- cursorAgentHost.remoteInferenceRoute is set to always.
- The Running Extensions screen shows cursor-always-local and cursor-socket.
- No cursor-agent-host or cursor-agent-exec directory exists under ~/.cursor-server.
Command used:
find “$HOME/.cursor-server” -type d 2>/dev/null | grep -E ‘cursor-agent-(host|exec)’ | head -50
The command returned no output.
Request IDs:
- ccc24220-de33-49ab-b491-6fbcbe5e2763
- c12005c2-96b6-4da7-a525-5635f50e6f0e
- c8a1f52a-d1a2-492d-b5af-ebe3010c50de
- c7def8dd-c4c3-44e1-a373-9682f02b6cbc
Steps to Reproduce
- Open Cursor IDE 3.24.9 on macOS.
- Use “Remote-SSH: Connect to Host” to connect to the Zaratan HPC cluster.
- Open any folder on the remote system.
- Open Agent inside the Remote-SSH Cursor window.
- Start a new Agent conversation.
- Send a simple message such as “hello.”
- Wait for the request to process.
- Agent fails with “Timed out waiting for the agent host bridge to register; please retry.”
The same Agent works normally when I open a local folder on my Mac. The problem occurs only in the Remote-SSH window.
Expected Behavior
After connecting to Zaratan through Remote SSH, Cursor Agent should start normally, register the Agent Host Bridge, and respond to prompts such as “hello.” Agent should be able to access and work with files in the remote workspace without timing out.
Screenshots / Screen Recordings
Operating System
MacOS
Version Information
Version: 3.24.9 (Universal)
VS Code Extension API: 1.128.0
Commit: cd6d2a1f2e56e9841f0ed9c7c24542087b4e69b0
Date: 2026-10-08T05:37:28.393Z
Layout: IDE
Build Type: Stable
Release Track: Default
Electron: 42.10.0
Chromium: 148.0.7778.280
Node.js: 24.18.1
V8: 14.8.178.38-electron.0
xterm.js: 6.1.0-beta.291
Local OS: Darwin arm64 24.6.0
Remote OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.10
Remote extension: Anysphere Remote SSH 1.1.16
For AI issues: which model did you use?
Grok 4.7 High Fast
For AI issues: add Request ID with privacy disabled
c7def8dd-c4c3-44e1-a373-9682f02b6cbc
Other requests showing the same failure:
ccc24220-de33-49ab-b491-6fbcbe5e2763
c12005c2-96b6-4da7-a525-5635f50e6f0e
c8a1f52a-d1a2-492d-b5af-ebe3010c50de
Additional Information
Agent works normally when I open a local folder on my Mac. The problem occurs only inside a Remote-SSH window connected to the University of Maryland Zaratan HPC cluster.
SSH authentication, remote file editing, and the integrated terminal work normally. Storage, inode usage, /tmp space, and process limits are healthy.
I stopped and restarted my Cursor remote processes and removed a stale Cursor installation lock. The local and remote Cursor commits match.
I set cursorAgentHost.remoteInferenceRoute to always and reloaded the window. The Running Extensions screen shows cursor-always-local and cursor-socket, confirming that the setting was applied, but Agent still fails.
No cursor-agent-host or cursor-agent-exec directory was found under ~/.cursor-server.
Command:
find “$HOME/.cursor-server” -type d 2>/dev/null | grep -E ‘cursor-agent-(host|exec)’ | head -50
Result: no output.
I have attached a screenshot of the Running Extensions screen and the Agent connection error.
Does this stop you from using Cursor
Sometimes - I can sometimes use Cursor
