I want to use a tool like Cursor, but I have no coding experience

Hi all

I got recommended to try Cursor from a friend, since I was wondering whether I should build on top of my existing design/ux skillsets with som FE knowledge. I currently have no understanding or skills of coding.

I’m having a hard time trying to figure out if Cursor requires knowledge of this – and to what degree if so? And what would be the ideal place for me to start my journey being able to build with tools like Cursor, if I need to have some fundamentals in place?

Thanks!

no , cursor does not require previous knowledge. You can just learn how to access the chat and start asking it questions. Of course if you can find your way around vscode already; and if you have followed just about any hello world tutorial on python online; that is greatly helpful as the AI tentacles do not go to all parts of the software yet (otherwise we would be “done” and could just voice type without having any UI that looks a lot like vscode)

1 Like

Before I started I could look at code and make some gueses as to what it was doing but that it. If you look up how to start with cursor ide in youtube it should get you started. I don’t have any coding experience and was able to get this up and running. basicd.replit.app it is not secured and for sure not ready for prime time but I feel pretty good about it. Need to add some more features. www.seniorswc.com is helpful. I still did a lot of head pounding as I haven’t used git or any true development tools before.

1 Like

Alright, so is Cursor for any type of code really? I think FE would make good sense for me to get my head around. So I guess html, css and java would be the place to start and then use Cursor on the side?

Thanks, but your first link doesn’t work? Would love to see it.

And can you recommend any specific YT videos on Cursor?

I have no real programming experience either so I use the Composer feature in Cursor (CTRL+SHIFT+I). It is very good about doing the programming for me. It still requires a bit of hand holding sometimes in fixing bugs, but you can get them squashed eventually.

1 Like

The most powerful thing about Cursor is the docs scraping, you can make it learn anything. Cursor - Build Software Faster
With great power comes great problems.
things are not going to work well when scraping

1. websites will actively defend themselves against scraping and scrape the same site too many times and you’ll get blocked
    3 - Managing state & dialogs - Mesop
  2. The add new doc window is a bit archaic but I think I figured 0.41.1 out now.
    i. prefix acts as a container rather than extender for the range of the scraped docs
    ii. the entry point will be the first page from which the scraper starts trying to trawl all the documents (with whatever heuristic it uses to get to the next document), including not including earlier numbers in sequence (if you started at codelab/3 it’s not going to include codelab/2 ; so I make a new name and scrape from the url with suffix “2/” instead)