LaTeX rendering in chat

It’d be nice to add LaTeX rendering to the chat interface. It’s already using Markdown, so probably it’s easy to implement a Mathjax plugin.

For example, I use Cursor to discuss papers (previously transformed to .mdd using Nougat), and it would be nice to have the GPT-4 replies with LaTeX rendering in the chat.

+1 :+1:

This is implemented in version 0.30!

Yes, thanks!

Nonetheless, I’ve noticed that only accepts “\(” and “\[” for inline math, but $ and $$ are not accepted. So half of the time the rendering fails. I’ve tried to give pre-set instructions to the LLM in the settings and it helps but it’s not perfect.

@arvid220u

This would be bad for some use cases of mine where I want to directly copy the latex code. So a switch would be appreciated.

Sorry but why can’t my cursor AI can’t print latex correctly? It print something like [ \int_V (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{F}) , dV = \oint_S \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{S} ] QAQ.

+1 how to support $$ style latex.

It’d be nice to render LaTeX formulas in the chat window. As someone who uses cursor for a lot of Math that chat having the ability to display math formulas appropriately would be very useful.

This would be really really helpful for similar reasons (working in ML research here)

hard to believe this feature is not addressed till now…

Very disappointing

Wow, why this feature is not already implemeted in 2026? It is crazy

Please implement this feature! It’s critical for research and development! Thank you!

would love for this to be implemented aswel

how come that select-response and latex rendering feature are still not implemented.

Can we please revert this and add in a toggle support? It’s very annoying working in Finance-adjacent fields, and having $ to render the rest of the sentence as latex.

@AbhinavMir I submitted a bug report on this as it drives me crazy:

@deanrie 这对开发者很难吗,我是用codex换到cursor的,我对于cursor对话框的latex渲染非常不满意,首先是矩阵括号有时候显示有时候不显示,显示的时候也是缩小版;另外,文中latex公式用$$括起的也无法渲染。这对于强理论相关的开发者很不友好,我有时候需要让cursor帮忙分析代码理论公式。

Hey, thanks for the report. I want to split this into two points, since these are different issues.

Matrix brackets pmatrix and bmatrix and square roots \sqrt sometimes disappear or look out of proportion. This is a known rendering visual bug. KaTeX renders the content, but the stretchy brackets and the radical can fail to draw. We already reported this internally. I can’t share an exact fix timeline yet. Once I have an update, I’ll reply in this thread.

Formulas inside $$…$$ do not render. I need a bit more info to reproduce it:

  • Your Cursor version. Go to Settings > About or use Cursor > About Cursor
  • A specific example formula you wrapped in $$ that did not render
  • The Request ID for that reply. Use the chat menu in the top right > Copy Request ID, if Privacy Mode is off

Also, keep in mind that a single $ can sometimes conflict with currency or normal text parsing, so inline math is more reliable as (…), and block math as […]. But $$ should work too, so please send an example and we’ll dig in.


以上是我实际使用的示例,你会发现,段内公式用$…$括起的并未渲染,而且段间公式后面会跟一小段对前面渲染公式的错误描述形式(这个是有时候会出现有时候不出现的)。
$$…$$内的公式无法渲染并未遇到(只有上面这种已渲染公式后跟一段未渲染错误公式的情况),我是指$…$。
另外,我建议你们的agent能否智能地来输出一定可以渲染的结果,这对于提高使用效率和感受来说非常重要。在许多工程领域,工程代码的理论公式描述对于开发者来说是一个高效理解和优化代码的方式,因此,优雅美观的latex公式显示是一个重要需求,希望你们能够重视。
最后,谢谢回复。