Where does the bug appear (feature/product)?
Cursor IDE
Describe the Bug
I’m running cursor IDE on windows 11, and while I’m working sometimes I need to switch models mid chat to accomplish specific things, and I find that even when not using auto (which I’ve never used, I want control over what model is being run) the model will switch itself constantly. It seems to happen when I switch windows, I believe. I switch windows or switch to another agent, come back, and the model has changed. This is particularly problematic when I’m paying on demand usage rates that run about $100 an hour. Every time this happens, it’s my understanding that the model has to reread EVERYTHING to reorient itself. It’s happened about 4 times in the past 20 minutes, and the bill is piling up, and it’s extremely frustrating. Please for the love of god, make a toggle switch that says “lock model” so it CANNOT switch without actually manually being switched. I’m really, really not happy about this given the cost. I’m new around here so I will say overall I’m having a blast and I never could have created what I have without discovering these tools, and they are awesome. But there’s a few things, like this, that are extremely disheartening. This and the way the context works and the fact that theres no way to clear the chat mid run (compacting sometimes kinda works). Theres a LOT of compute being wasted and it’s not beginner friendly whatsoever. You’ve gotta really know what you’re doing to run these things efficiently, and without that efficiency, the bill goes through the roof. Theres other things too like the fact that my agents don’t show up on my phone at all. I’ve resorted to making one of my agents create a photo with QR code links to each agent so I have a shortcut and a way to bring that chat up. Agent chats rarely show up in search, even when I use the web version. There’s a lot that doesn’t seem to work right. I know some of it is me, I’m a noob. But some of these things to me feel like they just aren’t fleshed out. anyway, back to building, rant off. I appreciate any help I can get on this topic, the model changing itself issue is really, really messing things up.
Thanks,
Joe
Steps to Reproduce
Switch models mid run on windows. Not sure if this happens in web or on ios as I haven’t tried it there. Grok 4.7 switches to 4.6 (or on 4.7 just tells you the model selected isnt available, if you hammer the enter key long enough, your chat will eventually go through. And Claude Opus 5.5 switches back to Grok 4.7. Basically the IDE wants to set it back to what you were using before no matter what change you make,
Expected Behavior
It should stay locked to the model I selected and notify me if it changes for any reason. would like a way to lock it.
Operating System
Windows 10/11
Version Information
Version: 3.21.18 (system setup)
VS Code Extension API: 1.128.0
Commit: c4730f7d93d787d9ab120af715999f0345ee5bc0
Date: 2026-09-22T02:04:34.641Z
Layout: Agent Window
Build Type: Stable
Release Track: Default
Electron: 42.10.0
Chromium: 148.0.7778.280
Node.js: 24.18.1
V8: 14.8.178.38-electron.0
xterm.js: 6.1.0-beta.291
OS: Windows_NT x64 10.0.26200
For AI issues: which model did you use?
Claude Opus 5.5
Grok 4.7
Does this stop you from using Cursor
No - Cursor works, but with this issue