Hi,
I noticed a significant change in my Cursor usage immediately after my subscription renewed, and I’m trying to understand whether this is expected behavior or a change in how caching/token usage is being handled.
Looking at my usage data:
- Before September 28:
Input (w/ Cache Write)was consistently 0. - Starting September 28:
Input (w/ Cache Write)suddenly started appearing with significant values. - At the same time,
Input (w/o Cache Write)became very small and almost constant, often around 4 tokens. Cache Readalso became extremely large in many requests, sometimes reaching several million tokens.- As a consequence, the Total Tokens per request increased considerably compared with the previous period.
For example, before the change, requests looked roughly like:
Input (w/ Cache Write): 0
Input (w/o Cache Write): tens/hundreds/thousands
Cache Read: hundreds of thousands or millions
After the change, I see patterns such as:
Input (w/ Cache Write): 100k–400k+
Input (w/o Cache Write): ~4–100
Cache Read: several million
Total Tokens: several million
The timing is particularly interesting because this happened right around September 28, when my subscription renewed.
Could someone from the Cursor team clarify:
- Was there a change around September 28 in how context caching / cache writes are handled?
- Is this related to the subscription renewal or to a change in the usage/billing system?
- Does
Input (w/ Cache Write)now count differently toward usage compared with before? - Could this explain why my token consumption increased considerably even though my usage pattern/workflow did not change significantly?
- Is the large amount of
Cache Readexpected, and how does it affect the usage percentage?
I’m attaching my usage CSV so the change can be seen directly in the data.
I’d especially like to understand whether this is simply a reporting/measurement change, or whether Cursor is actually sending significantly more billable input tokens after the renewal.
Thanks!
usage-events-2026-10-01.csv (105,3 KB)