Suggestions on better handling of partially bad generations

NOTE: this is about Cursor sidebar chat, not inline generations.

I have one persistent annoyance in Cursor that is by far my biggest ask.

50% of the time that Cursor generates code, it gets something wrong that causes an LSP error to pop up in the editor, like this:

However, if I click “AI fix in chat”, it creates a new chat, rather than using my existing chat thread. Can you please give me a way to just add this to my existing chat thread? It’s really annoying to copy-paste these error messages.

In an ideal world, Cursor would just read these errors directly from the LSP output, but just giving me a button to add to active thread would suffice for now.

Relatedly, another thing that often happens is that Cursor will forget to do a null check. For example, I’ll apply and accept Cursor’s suggested edits from chat, but I’ll get an LSP/Linter error like “Object is possibly null or undefined”.

To fix the error, I’ll manually add the null check, but when I ask follow-up questions in the thread, requesting that Cursor make subsequent edits, it doesn’t check the latest version of file, so it will blow away the fixes that I’ve made. I want Cursor to always look at the latest version of the file in the editor, and prioritize that over whatever its latest generation was.

1 Like