` anysphere.remote-wsl` broken

Cursor 0.50.7 + anysphere.remote-wsl 1.0.0

Can’t connect to a WSL distro. Worked fine on Friday until I had the brilliant idea of upgrading to Cursor 0.50.7.

The sympton is that Cursor gets stuck on “Setting up WSL Distro: Ununtu” and never actually connects. I have a terminal on that distro and it’s working fine, so I don’t know what Cursor wants.

Version: 0.50.7 (user setup)
VSCode Version: 1.96.2
Commit: 02270c8441bdc4b2fdbc30e6f470a589ec78d600
Date: 2025-05-24T18:32:30.918Z
Electron: 34.3.4
Chromium: 132.0.6834.210
Node.js: 20.18.3
V8: 13.2.152.41-electron.0
OS: Windows_NT x64 10.0.22631

Hi @leo_untether, could you share the logs from the “Remote - WSL” output window?

Facing the same problem here. I dont know what to do.

Terminal output:
[Info - 12:53:46.893] Resolving wsl remote authority ‘wsl+ubuntu’ (attempt #1)
[Trace - 12:53:46.895] Installing cursor-server with options: {“id”:“590ae5851909922ceadd1736”,“commit”:“53b99ce608cba35127ae3a050c1738a959750860”,“line”:“production”,“extensionIds”:,“serverApplicationName”:“cursor-server”,“serverDataFolderName”:“.cursor-server”,“forceReinstall”:true,“killRunningServers”:false}
[Trace - 12:53:49.839] WSL stdout: Killing all running Cursor servers

[Trace - 12:53:49.840] WSL stderr: your 131072x1 screen size is bogus. expect trouble

[Trace - 12:53:49.843] WSL stdout: No running servers found
Killing running servers:

[Trace - 12:53:49.851] WSL stdout: Removing all existing Cursor installations

[Trace - 12:53:49.855] WSL stdout: removed directory ‘/home/vinicius/.cursor-server/bin/53b99ce608cba35127ae3a050c1738a959750860’
removed directory ‘/home/vinicius/.cursor-server/bin’

[Trace - 12:53:49.879] WSL stdout: Downloading server from https://cursor.blob.core.windows.net/remote-releases/53b99ce608cba35127ae3a050c1738a959750860/vscode-reh-linux-x64.tar.gz

Hi @vinicius-adolfo-akad, if it is hanging there, could you check whether you are able to download the server directly? Are you using a proxy?

The direct download took almost 3 minutes. On Cursor it took more than 15 minutes. Looks like a network related issue.

Run cursor . in the WSL home directory.

Installation of Cursor-server for WSL will begin, and after a short wait you will be able to connect to WSL from the Windows application Cursor.

I tried reinstalling Cursor, deleting Appdata, deleting .cursor, etc., but the above solved the problem.

i meet the same problem, hang in setting up wsl disto: ubuntu very long time. :enraged_face: but could download server directly very quickly.

Hi @zyfee, could you double check your wsl config? We require localhost forwarding to be true: VSCode Server on WSL Fails with Download checksum: undefined Error - #10 by AuroraMaster

I have set wsl config:
[wsl2]
kernel=C:\wsl_kernel\bzImage-5.15.153.2-microsoft-standard-WSL2
localhostForwarding=true.
when cursor reconnect server, the output log as "2025-06-24 08:56:40.365 [info] Resolving wsl remote authority ‘wsl+ubuntu’ (attempt #1)
2025-06-24 08:56:40.365 [info] Checking output for installServerScript
2025-06-24 08:56:40.365 [info] [wsl exec: installServerScript] Running command
2025-06-24 08:56:41.008 [error] Error installing Cursor server [wsl exec: installServerScript] Command failed with exit code 4294967295: stdout: ~p��’`Ee��

���Nx: W s l / S e r v i c e / E _ U N E X P E C T E D

2025-06-24 08:58:37.640 [info] Resolving wsl remote authority ‘wsl+ubuntu’ (attempt #1)
2025-06-24 08:58:37.640 [info] Checking output for installServerScript
2025-06-24 08:58:37.640 [info] [wsl exec: installServerScript] Running command
2025-06-24 08:58:38.201 [error] Error installing Cursor server [wsl exec: installServerScript] Command failed with exit code 4294967295: stdout: ~p��’`Ee��

���Nx: W s l / S e r v i c e / E _ U N E X P E C T E D ."
Sometimes, after a few minutes, it can succeed, but more often than not, it will fail.

I have the same issue, ever since Anysphere.WSL is used instead of the normal WSL extension Cursor has not worked. I’m running on WSL+NixOS, I first had to patch the OS to add /bin/bash, since the WSL extension wrongly assumes it’s there (wich is not POSIX standard).

I’ve removed .cursor-server and re-installed with cursor ., which installs the server and launches cursor, however, it’s hung with this:

Version: 1.1.6 (user setup)
VSCode Version: 1.96.2
Commit: 5b19bac7a947f54e4caa3eb7e4c5fbf832389850
Date: 2025-06-25T02:20:02.577Z
Electron: 34.5.1
Chromium: 132.0.6834.210
Node.js: 20.19.0
V8: 13.2.152.41-electron.0
OS: Windows_NT x64 10.0.26100

This is driving me nuts and cursor is completely unusuable, what should I try?

VS Code WSL continues to work just fine.

After many cursor restarts, I’ve got a new error:

Hi @noonien, thanks for this bug report. Our Remote WSL extension currently does not support NixOS; we’ll see if we can add support for this.

As a workaround, would you be able to set up a SSH server inside WSL, and then try our remote SSH extension to SSH into your WSL environment? This one does work with NixOS. Please see this forum thread. Thanks!

Hi @noonien, please also see this thread for using Cursor with WSL and nixOS: Install Cursor in nix-os on WSL-2 - #2 by meskill

Hey @leo_untether @noonien did you manage to make it work? I’ve tried every fix possible I could find, no success. Cursor’s support is also not able to help with that, crazy, it’s driving me nuts as well