Copilot++ - how to use / more details?

Copilot++ (beta): this is an “add-on” to Copilot that suggests diffs around your cursor, using your recent edits as context. To enable it, go to the “More” tab in the right chat bar. Note: to cover the costs of the AI, this is only available for pro users.

This sounds super cool to try – I’ve enabled it but am not entirely clear on what and where I’m supposed to be seeing suggestions. Any hints?

1 Like

Copilot++ is Cursor’s native autocomplete feature. It’s a more powerful version of Copilot that can suggest mid-line completions and entire diffs.

To use it, just enable it in the “More” tab next to Chat.

Here’s a demo:

6 Likes

The highlight is pretty subtle btw, I just realized today that I’ve constantly been missing these suggestions. Wonder if there’s to make this a bit more prominent without getting into “distracting” territory?

@rohitpaulk Yea, I think so too. Will probably be improved.

1 Like

@Jakob thanks for the clarification!

I’ve used the original Copilot (from Github) and I still think their UX is the best for this sort of thing. When you start to type, they insert suggestions in light grey “ghost text”, including spacing, to which you can simply use a hotkey to accept (or, if you want, browse other suggestions). You can also just keep typing and ignore, and their suggestions will update accordingly.

I would be super psyched if Cursor’s Copilot++ (or whatever you decide to brand it so as not to step on toes) basically had the same UX but with all the Cursor-powered context / improved models / etc.

Thanks for working on this!

When you start to type, they insert suggestions in light grey “ghost text”, including spacing, to which you can simply use a hotkey to accept (or, if you want, browse other suggestions). You can also just keep typing and ignore, and their suggestions will update accordingly.

That sounds a bit difficult to do here though, no? Since the suggestion is an edit, and not a completion

we suggest using both copilot and copilot++ at the same time!

at some point we may want to create our own copilot too, but not on our roadmap atm since copilot is already very good at what it does

Ohhhh I didn’t get that this is for edits (the demo video above shows a Copilot-style completion). Gotcha. Makes a ton of sense.

1 Like

@nlh My bad. Updated the demo video to show off the edit capabilities too.

1 Like

So, is there any clear distinction between Copilot++ (beta) and GitHub Copilot in terms of functionality?

GitHub’s Copilot doesn’t suggest edits (as far as I know), only completions

1 Like

We’ve made some updates to Copilot++! Curious to hear if it’s useful yet for folks or if people have feedback.

Copilot ++ seems to be not enabled even though I’m using my own API key. Is this intentional? I am not upgraded to pro but there shouldn’t be any model costs incurred by you guys either.

It’s a custom model for the time being, so we can’t charge it to your API key.

Is it still the case that you recommend to use both? Can copilot ++ just autocomplete without previous edits now?

Works really well. I switched from copilot as its suggestions quality has degraded substantially over the last few months and I’ve heard good things about Cursor in general. My one qualm with Copilot++ is its latency, copilot is a clear winner on that front. I think it would pay to scale the system there. The inline diff / multi line completion is very powerful. Keep up the hard work!

1 Like