Feature request line-level reply to code blocks in chat

Feature request for product/service

Cursor IDE

Describe the request

When I chat with AI about code in the Cursor app, a single message often contains large code blocks. Right now, Reply can only attach to the whole message, so I can’t precisely reply to a specific code block, or a few lines inside it, to continue the discussion.

Pain points:

  1. If one reply contains multiple code blocks and I want to follow up on just one of them, I have to describe it like “the second code block above,” which is easy to mismatch.
  2. After replying, the context gets long, and it’s hard to jump back to the exact code we were discussing. This is related to the reading anchor problem.
  3. For casual chat, the current coarse Reply is fine (like in Grok Bot or normal conversations). For coding, I really need a finer way to “talk to this piece of code.”

What I’d like:

  • Support replying to a code block inside a message, ideally even selecting specific lines inside the block
  • After replying, clearly show which code snippet is being quoted
  • Ideally, add a one-click way to jump back to that code anchor

This would make follow-up questions during pair programming more accurate, with less back-and-forth to confirm context. Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for posting on the Cursor forum!

To help ensure most of our users can participate in discussions, this forum is currently English only.

If you’d like, you can edit your post to translate it into English. Once it meets our guidelines, it will be automatically relisted.

Thanks for understanding!

Note: This is an automated detection system and sometimes makes mistakes. If your post is already in English, feel free to ignore this message, or just make a small edit and it will be reviewed again.