Make Cursor more like vscode starting out

Cursor is great - and there are many features for me to learn and use.

However, as I’m adjusting to this new IDE style… I don’t want to relearn a whole new layout just yet.

I rather prefer the small sidebar that displays all the buttons like the folder button, the repository button, the extension button and the cog button for settings.

I wish there was a way to click a button to start out on an exact clone of vs code… then once you get better you can swap over to the new Cursor style…

I click the source code, repository, extensions and settings buttons quite often while working… so not have them big and easily accessible like they are in vs code is a hinderance to Cursor adoption IMO. baby steps

This is truly an obvious improvement to make. Why make things unfamiliar? Reeks of personal preference.

1 Like

This is my second biggest initial gripe. I have used VS Code for years and don’t want to have to get used to a new UI layout, especially one that provides the same set of elements yet is different in idiosyncratic ways without any obvious apparent justification for those differences.

In fact, failing an easy way to configure Cursor to just look like VS Code, I guess what I really want is Cursor inside VS Code. The benefit of Cursor will have to be pretty big for me to be willing to walk away from an entire IDE and years worth of investment in setting it up and getting used to it. So many IDEs and editors have come and gone. Could Anysphere perhaps work on getting the needed extension integration features made available in VS Code to make this possible?

My first biggest gripe is the privacy issue. Anysphere is not a big enough company for me to trust the staff and code are sufficiently well audited internally for me to be willing to risk still passing my entire commercial IP through your servers in “Privacy Mode”, especially when the “OpenAI/Anthropic zero-data retention” feature is advertised as only being on the Business plan…

Do you think that an extension will provide you with security and privacy for your code? Cursor uses a lot of features that won’t work with an extension. Maybe in the future, Anysphere will release a lighter version, but for now, their priorities are different.

Do you really think that your code is reviewed manually? Check out what they wrote in the latest blog post.