Pro subscription and Anthropic key: Need clarification

Hi everyone, happy to join this forum!

I have just subscribed for the Pro level (previously have used Cursor Free for some time, mostly using Claude 3.5 Sonnet via my own Anthropic API key). After upgrading to Pro, I have noticed the following message in my Cursor settings’ Anthropic section: “With your Cursor Pro subscription, you do not need to use your own Anthropic key!”. I’m a bit confused: it is my understanding that, with Pro, I would first use my 500 monthly fast requests quota for premium models, which includes 3.5 Sonnet, and then, Cursor would automatically start using my Anthropic key for further usage. Apparently, it seems that this is not the case, because of this phrase: “You can put in your Anthropic key to use Claude at cost. When enabled, this key will be used for all models beginning with ‘claude-’”. Does this mean that the optimal approach is to “Turn off Anthropic Key” until I use the whole 500 fast requests quota and turn it on after that? Please clarify. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @abba ,

I am just a fellow user, but yes I think you have the correct understanding.

The alert is just letting you know, as a courtesy, you already have a Pro subscription so you don’t need to use your own API key, unless you want to.

Also, remember, as a Pro user, you have an additional 10 long-context requests per day for several long-context models, you can see these details when logged in at cursor.com/settings.

Also, remember gpt-4o-mini is considered a non-premium model, so be sure to switch to that model when doing smaller tasks, in order to save some of your 500 fast-premium requests per month etc.

2 Likes

Hi @litecode, thank you so much for your prompt feedback, clarifications, and advice. I’m glad that my understanding is correct. I look forward to exploring Composer’s premium features, especially its multi-file editing experience and interpreter mode (it’s a pity that documentation does not cover the latter).

By the way, I have noticed that often or always (at least, in Free tier), when Cursor generates a large block of code, the ending point of the initial part and the starting point of the next one (appearing after clicking Continue button) do not match for a seamless stitching of relevant code blocks. Have you or anybody else noticed that?

1 Like

I think you are missing the point. He’s asking if the system will use the pro credits before using his key.

I just looked at my account, and I have both pro credits and keys setup, and it looks like its not pulling from the pro credits at all.

This is not cool if true.

1 Like

@jason-engage Thank you for chiming in. Indeed, I was asking whether Cursor will use my Pro credits before using my Anthropic API key …

I’m sure someone will tell us to turn off the Anthropic Api Switch, duh!

This should def be filed as an urgent bug

1 Like

I’ve seen the same thing - it does not consume from Pro credits and hits the API directly.

That’s not good … :frowning: So, then the solution to this issue (or, rather, a – hopefully, temporary – workaround) would be what I suggested above: to turn off your key(s) until all Pro credits are used, then turn the key(s) back on.

Here are screenshots of what I see.

I could be missing something, but the logic seems clear to me:

• If you have a Pro subscription, then Cursor will use that

• If you add and enable your API Key, requests will be at your own cost

The messaging in the interface is pretty clear to me.

It even shows a highlighted message when you toggle your API Key on, essentially prompting you to confirm that you really want to use your own API Key.

I haven’t seen any communication that says:

• “If you add your own API Key, we will only use that once you run out of your fast-premium Pro account requests”

The Cursor team have previously commented that it doesn’t bother them if you use your own API Key or not, but most users will probably find that it is cheaper to use Cursor’s requests, because they get bulk pricing.

I understand there is a workaround. But this is a bug. The app should be pulling from the pro credits ALWAYS when using a supported model and pro credits are left.

Its actually an urgent bug, because this bug is not only an inconvenience, but its related to $$. I pay $20 a month, and I just realized that I overpaid because the switch was on.

Also, the ‘courtesy’ message is NOT clear, because logic would imply that the PRO credits will be used first.

Default to using logic please.

The text beneath the OpenAI API Key in Cursor Settings > Models is:

You can put in your OpenAI key to use Cursor at public API costs. Note: this can cost more than pro and won’t work for custom features.

The text beneath the Anthropic API Key in Cursor Settings > Models is:

You can put in your Anthropic key to use Claude at cost. When enabled, this key will be used for all models beginning with “claude-”.

I imagine they designed the system in this way so that:

• Pro requests were used by default

• If you wanted to use a new model, or had run out of Pro requests, or just wanted to see if the performance of using your own API Key was better, you could add and enable your own API key

• (and toggle it on and off when you liked, each time being prompted to confirm you really wanted to use your own API key)

Again, I could be missing something, but the messaging seems clear, to me.

Probably a dumb / obvious question but is litecode a bot? Its responses are utterly unhelpful and not really the point of the discussion here, which is that our own API keys should only be used for usage beyond what Cursor Pro already offers. Surely someone who’s not a bot can see that.

Why hasn’t anyone from the Cursor team addressed this question? There’s always confusion around this topic whenever it comes up, but the question is quite simple:

•	Should “Pro 500 Usage” apply?
•	Or, should it rely solely on a “personal API key” if you enter it irrespective if Pro

I’ve even emailed Cursor’s support in the past, but haven’t received any response. It’s unclear why they aren’t providing clarification on this issue.

You get 500 requests if you subscribe to the PRO plan, this does not require your API key. If you want to use your personal API key, you do not need to purchase a subscription—you can use it for free, except for any costs associated with your API key usage.

Your 2nd sentence is incorrect: one does need to purchase a subscription, if they want to use their personal API key and Cursor’s premium features (e.g., Composer).

To use your own API key, you don’t need a PRO subscription. But to use Composer and Cursor Tab, yes, you do need it. :pray:

1 Like