UNABLE TO OPEN - Keeps happening (PRO version)

Hello, this is my second post on a new subject - first was ignored…

I noticed when I click the code that is generated, it fails to OPEN it and just shows a weird blank screen like the image, how can this be fixed?

Paid for pro too

f being ignored.

Hi @hilvy ,

To assist in troubleshooting, please copy/paste system info from:

Cursor > Help > About

The latest version available to download from cursor.com is 0.40.3.

Just to get a clear list of reproducible steps and check if the basic chat functionality is working for you, perhaps try the following:

01) Create a folder in Documents named MyCursorProject

02) Create a file in MyCursorProject named myFile.js

03) In Cursor, open the folder named MyCursorProject

04) Click the Explorer icon in the Activity Bar so you can see the contents of your folder

05) Double click myFile.js to open it

06) With your cursor in myFile.js, press Ctrl + L to open up Chat in the sidebar

07) The myFile.js file should automatically be added as the ‘Current File’ context in the chat

08) Enter a prompt in the chat like:

Please add a pirate joke to this file

09) When Cursor replies, click on Apply and then Accept

10) The contents of myFile.js should be updated

Questions:

Do the steps above work for you?

If not, at which step does it falter? (and take a screenshot)

Is your original scenario the same as the test scenario above?

If not, can you create a list of reproducible steps like the one above?

Observations:

There are a few things that stand out to me in your post which may or may not be relevant:

• The file path is very nested and isn’t following a usual project structure, which makes me think there might be a lack of clarity around either the desired behaviour, or how Cursor works, or the path references are somehow ‘corrupted’

• I am not sure if you are trying to create a brand new file using the chat, or if you are trying to modify an existing file?

• I am not sure which specific element you are clicking on which results in the alert that says:

The editor could not be opened because the file was not found

(edit: I looked at your previous post, and can see you get errors when clicking on links that are present in the Chat response, such as file, function and variable links - unfortunately, I cannot reproduce those errors, clicking on those links in my chat responses works as expected)

• You mentioned you were a Pro user, but Cursor Tab looks like it is disabled in the bottom right of the screen, is that intentional?

If you could provide a list of reproducible steps that might clarify these things and assist in troubleshooting.

There are various places you can look for error messages and logs in Cursor, but I think just getting the above clarified would be a good start.

Version: 0.40.1
VSCode Version: 1.91.1
Commit: 58b91712431381a1b75817cd3437cee35dddcb30
Date: 2024-08-24T02:52:24.035Z
Electron: 29.4.0
ElectronBuildId: undefined
Chromium: 122.0.6261.156
Node.js: 20.9.0
V8: 12.2.281.27-electron.0

Update:

I think I can reproduce in Cursor 0.40.3 on Windows.

01) Open a JavaScript file in the editor (myFile.js)

02) Press Ctrl + L to bring up Chat

03) The ‘current file’ will be selected as the context

04) Enter this prompt:

Please add some simple functions to this file that demonstrate basic JavaScript functionality.

05) Press Apply and then Accept to accept the changes, then save the file

06) Enter this prompt:

In your response, can you please link to the file, the functions and the variables within the file, and provide a short description of each of them?

07) The response will be returned, including the links

08) Clicking on any of the links displays this error:

The editor could not be opened because the file was not found

Variations:

• I tested in claude-3.5-sonnet, gpt-4o and gpt-4o-mini
  • I tested with the Cursor Outline panel open and closed
  • When testing with gpt-4o-mini, the link to the file worked, but it didn’t generate links to the functions and variable, when prompted to do so, those links were also broken
  • Starting a new chat with a new prompt was partially successful (see screenshot 09)

Initial Conclusion

It seems like there are some problems and inconsistencies with generating links to files, functions and variables in Cursor chat responses.

Screenshots:

Screenshot 01 - test with claude-3.5-sonnet

Screenshot 02

Screenshot 03

Screenshot 04

Screenshot 05

Screenshot 06

Screenshot 07 - test with gpt-4o

Screenshot 08 - test with gpt-4o-mini with Outline panel open

Screenshot 09 - partially successful test with gpt-4o-mini with Outline panel open