Undo/command-Z /ctrl-Z doesn't revert to before inline edits

I had my doubts about switching over from github copilot, but the AI experience in cursor.sh just feels so much more refined. Here, I can highlight multiple codeblocks and ask the AI to document them, and it just works. I can ask the AI for edits that require the context of the code, and it just works. It’s really impressive that the AI implementation here is so much better than that of github copilot, considering the difference in scale.

However, there’s kind of a glaring issue that stops this from being a clear superior alternative to VScode with copilot, and that’s this CTRL-Z issue, which I’ve recorded in the video here: https://vimeo.com/904469264?share=copy

Basically, I can’t undo to before whatever I type in the inline AI editor box, and when I try, I can only undo things typed inside of the box, and only when I’ve actually clicked outside of the box, meaning I’m basically undoing things inside the box at what looks like a rate of a token per second. I don’t know if I’m missing something here, but it just strikes me as a super weird bug on an otherwise excellent and very refined experience.

I looked in the forums, and two posts from September that mentioned something like this, so I’m not sure if this is just a me thing, I’m on Windows 10.

This is literally the only thing in the way of me going fully onboard, I just want to know that stuff like this will get fixed.

1 Like

Okay, I’ve realized that when you’re inside the inline chat window, you can hit ctrl K again to get out of it, and for some reason from there you can ctrl-z like normal.

Feel like this should be written somewhere, though.

Appreciate the report; definitely want to fix this.

The video link isn’t working for me. Could you try resharing? That’ll be super helpful for figuring out what’s going on here.

1 Like

Looks like vimeo’s not working, so I’ll give you streamable, but the site says these videos will expire in two days:

The video I posted earlier:

My “solution”:

My “solution” is just hitting ctrl K and ctrl Z repeatedly, not much difference from clicking outside the inline box and hitting ctrl z repeatedly, as I was in the process of discovering in the first video.

So yeah, there’s just a weird interaction between the inline chat window and ctrl Zing.

Thanks for your work! I’m loving this editor, I solidified the switch after realizing that copilot++ existed and did the last thing I might’ve wanted github copilot for.

While we’re at it: github copilot still feels smoother in terms of code completion, so at the moment I’m missing it a little (I’ve switch off the github copilot extension, so I’m just using copilot++ here). It felt a little quicker - like, quick enough that the suggestion would pop up before I even needed to take the time to think about what I wanted to write next, which was a nice mental energy saver. Getting longer completion suggestions from ++ is cool though, I guess there’s a balance.

One issue, though, is that when I’m typing on the right side of a split window, the suggestion box goes off the screen so I can’t see the whole block:

The issue’s at the bottom right of that image.

I’m running windows 10 with multiple screens, one screen below the screen that my editor is on, I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Sometimes I get the ghost text, sometimes the suggestions boxes… it’s a beta so I guess that’s to be expected, but polishing that up and sorting the ctrl Z situation would make switching to cursor.sh a no brainer IMO. The overall superior AI integration is well worth the extra 10 bucks a month.

I take it back about copilot++, it’s growing on me. Maybe my internet’s just a little wonky at times.

1 Like

Do you mind updating to the new release (0.23.4) and letting me know if it works?

And glad to hear about copilot++ :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It is… perfection :pinched_fingers:

1 Like

@rishabhy I think Ctrl+Z’ing to what happened before the Inline Code Gen is now fixed but Ctrl+Y’ing to what happened after an Inline Code Gen is still stuck.

Ty for pointing that out, will be fixed in the next minor version bump

2 Likes

Ctrl shift Z works though

I feel like it would be really good if we can customize the undo behavior of the command k box. I don’t think I want an undo action to toggle the once-opened command k box. If I am undoing and want to go to the version of the text file before the command k box is opened, why am I seeing the box and what has happened within the box?

Am I missing anything?