"Can't reach your computer" on macOS - Recover and Reset both fail at 50%

Where does the bug appear (feature/product)?

Grok Bot

Describe the Bug

The agent computer never becomes reachable. Banner reads “Can’t reach your computer.” Recover and Reset both fail server-side at the identical stage — “Starting Grok Bot’s computer,” stuck at 50% — then error out. Reset wipes data before failing, so retrying is destructive with no chance of success.

Chat with the Bot works normally throughout, so the app’s connection to Cursor’s servers is fine. Only the VM fails to start.

Ruled out locally:

DNS: dig +short NS cursorvm.com resolves normally; switched to 1.1.1.1/8.8.8.8 (confirmed via scutil --dns) and flushed cache — no change
Different networks: personal hotspot (different carrier/DNS) and VPN — no change
Account: Pro, not an expired trial
Privacy: Share Data explicitly turned off and saved on dashboard

Steps to Reproduce

Launch Grok Bot, Pro account. Banner: “Can’t reach your computer.”
Run Recover → stalls at “Starting Grok Bot’s computer,” 50% → “Recovery couldn’t finish.”
Run Reset → wipes data, creates computer, stalls at same step, 50% → “Reset couldn’t finish. Computer may be in a partial state.”

Expected Behavior

Recover or Reset provisions a working agent computer the app can reach.

Screenshots / Screen Recordings

Operating System

MacOS

Version Information

Grok Bot 0.56.1

For AI issues: which model did you use?

N/A - fails before any model request.

For AI issues: add Request ID with privacy disabled

N/A - no request issued; provisioning fails first.

Additional Information

Account: [email protected] (@volkanjs)

Does this stop you from using Cursor

No - Cursor works, but with this issue

Hey, thanks for the detailed report, and for ruling out DNS, network, hotspot, VPN, and privacy upfront. You were looking in the right direction. This isn’t on your Mac or in your setup.

What’s happening is that your Grok Bot computer never finished the very first initialization, so Recover and Reset can’t complete from the app. They both get stuck on the same server-side step. There’s nothing you can do on your side to change this, so for now please don’t run Reset again. It won’t finish anyway.

This is a known issue we’re tracking, and it needs to be fixed on our side. I’ve passed your case to the team to investigate.

Your account and the chat you already created with the bot are safe. The chat runs on our servers, which is why it can keep replying while the computer is unavailable.

Once I have an update on your computer, We’ll reply here. After that, you’ll just need to fully quit Grok Bot menu bar icon → Quit and open it again.

I appreciate the reply! Any updates or an estimated timeline on this? Grok Bot seems operational on the status page, but I’m assuming that’s separate from this bug. I’ve got a few things I need Grok Bot for, some of it time-sensitive work I’ve already committed to, so a rough ETA would help a lot! Thanks for the help.

Hey @Volkan_Erdogan - no firm ETA I can give you yet, but we’re getting your computer rebuilt from our side. (The status page tracks the overall service, which is separate from your specific computer, so it shows green regardless.)

Please keep Reset off for now. I’ll post here the moment it’s ready, and all you’ll need to do is fully quit Grok Bot (menu bar icon → Quit) and reopen it.

@Volkan_Erdogan the stuck first start has cleared on our side. Please fully quit Grok Bot (menu bar icon, then Quit) and reopen, and your computer should provision and connect normally now. Let me know if you still hit “Can’t reach your computer” and I’ll dig back in.