Pop out window for AI Chat

Hello,

I am new to:

• VS Code
  • Cursor

So apologies if I am overlooking existing functionality.

But there doesn’t seem to be a way to ‘pop out’ the ‘Ctrl + L’ chat into its own window?

I have tried the following steps:

• In the Chat panel, click on the ‘Open Chat in Editor’ icon

• Drag the ‘AI Chat’ tab to a new screen

At first, this seems to show the ‘AI Chat’ in a ‘pop out’ window, but the text input then stops working - ie I cannot type anything in the prompt area.

The reason I ask for this functionality is:

• I’ve come from Sublime Text, so I am used to having a bit more screen real estate for my editor etc.

Thank You.

4 Likes

Can confirm this, also that it breaks scrolling etc. Doing the same with other windows works find though so this isn’t a VS Code problem it seems. Also GitHub CoPilot works fine even when undocked.

2 Likes

confirm this. Chat editor when moved as a window to otehrscreen doesn’t scroll.

1 Like

The other approach I thought of later, to get a Cursor chat interface on another screen, was to drag the Composer window to another screen, but that’s not working at the moment.

Just adding to this post for reference as I think it comes from the same desire to ‘have more space’:

1 Like

Same issue here. I desire to move the chat window to another screen instead of keeping it in the sidebar.

Reproduce Steps:

1. Shift-CMD-P: Open chat in editor
  2. Right click the title of the tab → move into new window
  3. cannot input anything in the input box

@amanrs please help to check.

1 Like

I’m experiencing this issue. When I open the AI chat in the editor and drag it to another screen I’m now longer able to ask followup questions. Hoping this is resolved soon as I just purchased two external displays and would love to take advantage of them.

1 Like