Composer stops writing files

I run into this quit regularly and its not clear why it happens.
Composer refuses to create/edit files and instead outputs the code to the conversation. See below for the example I just had.

It seems the model does not matter - when it happens - it happens to all models.

And resetting composer does not seem to change it.

Any ideas how I can help you guys debug this? Its intermittent - eg I just had a great 1 hour chat with my team in cursor and suddenly it stopped editing/creating files.

ps. To confirm i double checked and no file was created.
ps. ps. I apply to custom styling to vscode to make it easier to see my questions.

6 Likes

I’m experiencing the same issue. The Composer is no longer creating or editing files. It only displays the code in the conversation, Similar to the AI pane chat. Thus Composer is not working properly and we cannot edit multiple files. The new Update Broke Composer.

3 Likes

I observed the same behaviour in this thread:

And another user observed similar behaviour here:

And another here:

A more extreme example of no response being returned is here:

My conclusion is that when the chat gets to a certain size or complexity it can’t output responses any more.

That made me think that it would be good to display the token size or ‘context window’ of the chat so we could see how large the chat had gotten etc.

Hopefully, like most bugs, after a bit of thought the problem will be able to be identified and resolved with a relatively small tweak.

3 Likes

this is very helpful. Not something I considered. Will see if resetting context on composer solves it when i run into it again

2 Likes

same errors here, very sudden, doesn’t matter whether it’s the ai chat to apply edits or using composer, it doesn’t actually apply anything. it always acts like it is doing something and asks to accept/reject but nothing edited at all.

2 Likes

composer is an alpha feature and we are quickly iterating and fixing bugs.

we really really appreciate the bugs found and we will fix as many of the bugs as quickly as possible in ti.

9 Likes

yep you guys are amazing. Is the best place to log them here or as github issues?

2 Likes

yes! same here

Does this happen consistently? Or occassionally?

2 Likes

Inconsistently but quit regularly
Any way I can get hold of more detailed debug info to pass on when it happens again?

1 Like

Consistently… usually after a long session, ie several hours of continous use. I tried:
starting new Composer chat, New Chats in sidebar
enabling / disabling Preview
restarting Cursor
rebooting
disabling then renabling API keys

Only thing I’ve found that works sometimes, is asking it
“Please add comments, do it, then APPLY directly”

If I had to guess, that sparks it to take action bc whatever imaginary empty diff it knows, is no longer valid after that request

1 Like

Heres an example of composer again - saying its created files but not creating. Fresh context, small 74 line code base (single python script), .cursorrules file.

Not sure if this sort of info is helpful to fix the issue? If not let me know what other debug info would help.

After posting asked it why it did not save to files - and suddenly it starts to save.

1 Like

@imrat - not sure if it will resolve the bugs, but I just saw that 0.39.3 is available to download by clicking on the Download button at www.cursor.com.

1 Like

Ah amazing testing now!!

Already on .3

CleanShot 2024-08-10 at 15.07.45@2x

1 Like

@imrat - fyi - i just checked cursor.com this morning and 0.39.4 is available now :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Yeah got update notification yesterday

Not ran into the problem again … apart from it refusing to write to .cursorrules but it was creating and writing to other files.

Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Nice new UI enhancement for file / folder creation.

Sadly looks like Cursor just got lazy again!

Suddenly stops writing files

Steps:

1. chatting in sidebar about best wat to do a load test with random input data for each request
  2. once I got to the outline of a good solution - pressed the “open in composer” button
  3. composer immediately created the required file
  4. i then asked it to create 2 csv files with some random data
  5. it refuses - repeatedly - even when changing the model.

@imrat

What happens if you create a brand new Composer chat and ask it to do the same thing again?

Does it ‘right itself’?

1 Like

Sadly did not make a difference.

Tried:

1. new chat in same composer window
  2. delete chats / add a new one
  3. reload window - create new chat
1 Like