Crazy RAM usage in recent updates

Hey friends,

Over the past 2-3 days, Cursor has been a RAM glutton.
Even though I restart it every morning.

Any ideas why?

Think we have a bug with our memory usage that will be fixed in our next release.

The next release should be a fix for this. If it does not it would also be helpful if you could run the following inside Cursor:

1. press cmd+shift+p, then enter developer: log database storage contents
  2. press cmd+shift+p, then enter developer: open logs folder
  3. zip that full folder up and send it to hi@cursor.so

I also wanted to report that cursor significantly slows down my macbook pro. I think it may be due to the memmory usage, which forces it to use the swap, but I am not sure. Let’s see what happens after the hotfix

Has the hotfix helped? @danielo

Nope.
My current workflow is still open cursor, do any edits, and then close it because it starts to slow down my computer if it stays open for too long.
If that matters, I also have VSCode open at the same time.

Could you try running the same steps as above:

1. press cmd+shift+p, then enter developer: log database storage contents
  2. press cmd+shift+p, then enter developer: open logs folder
  3. zip that full folder up and send it to hi@cursor.so

@danielo Just checking in here. How long do you keep the editor open for? Do you have a sense of if this happens for all types of projects or just a few specific ones?

As soon as I open it, it starts to eat memory and increase my resource usage. Because it worked that bad I didn’t tried in any other project, because some times it forces me to reboot my computer, interrupting my workflow quite a bit

@danielo Could you try these steps? Would be massively helpful for fixing the issue.

If you could, it’d also be incredibly helpful if you could go to developer tools, then “Performance,” and take a profile and send it to us.

Will try to do that

Sorry, the file you are trying to upload is not authorized (authorized extensions: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, heic, heif, webp, avif).

Could you email to michael@cursor.so?

Hey i am facing this in current release. after putting my mac to sleep by shutting the lid down and opening sometimes cursor uses upto 10Gb RAM. force closing and restarting helps with RAM release. but it cause my mac to lag.

Does this happen if you disable all extensions? Often, this is a third party extension problem. Could you screenshot your activity monitor?

1 Like

Same here. It looks like I am using the JetBrains suite, not VS Code… :frowning:

Same here.

But for me the situation is even worse, only reboot help to fix it (because Cursor just freeze my full system)
I have Macbook Air m2 16gb

More details:

1. remote server
  2. jupyter notebook
  3. process with lots of logs in cell
  4. in vscode everything is fine even with inf logs

guess:
cursor is trying to process all logs and this is why it’s taking all the resources

right now, just unusable for me

really waiting for fix

Does this persist with no extensions installed?

i just have jupyter extension (and material icon theme, but i don’t think it’s the main problem here)