I don't get it.. What is advantage to paying Cursor AI vs using a ChatGPT 4 key?

It seems to cost about the same ? what am I missing ?

Hmm. Yeah… doing a few hundred chats on Cursor Pro vs API key - they aren’t priced the same.

If the API key costs <= for your usage, feel free to use that :slight_smile:

Often people choose to subscribe to pro because it’s a cheaper (we have bulk OpenAI pricing) + there are some features we can only support on pro because they use custom models (faster diffs, Copilot++)

7 Likes

I just learned about copilot ++ so I guess thats the difference… It is like copilot but the autocompletion is better ? As far as cost Im not sure yet wat would be cheaper for me

In my opinion, I find Cursor AI cheaper option if ChatGPT is being used only for coding, based on my experience, the API key charged me more than Cursor AI when used a lot

2 Likes

I am new to Cursor. Trying to figure out the API keys. It seems that with the “Free” plan, you cannot use your own API key(s) at all? I can’t find anywhere in the settings to place them. Is this true?

i thought you could use your API in free plan… but in the end cost more than just paying for cursor

@luckman212

Cursor Settings > Models.

Not sure if free users can add API Keys or not.

https://docs.cursor.com/miscellaneous/api-keys

There is no “Models” area in my Settings…

On your windows bar, Cursor > Settings > Cursor Settings

Go to Models, and you will see the input box for API key

1 Like

How much did ChatGPT charge you when you used it?

@0x000000000000000000 Wow thanks. I can’t believe I missed that. I just assumed all “Settings” would be in the same panel, didn’t realize there is a separate “VS Code Settings” and “Cursor Settings”…

Glad to help! I actually discovered those settings myself too.